Orthodontics is the offshoot of dentistry that deals with corrective treatments for misaligned teeth, bringing them to their desired positions. The misalignment, if not addressed timely, could become a bigger problem in the future which may no longer be treatable. If you feel that your teeth are not properly aligned giving you an awkward feeling when you talk or smile, it might be a prudent decision to visit an orthodontist near you.
Who would require orthodontic treatment?
There are several types of teeth misalignments that require the services of an orthodontist to be resolved. Many of us, at times, are unaware that the condition keeps getting worse over time and it might reach a point where treatment proves to be ineffective.
The types of issues possible with misalignment of teeth are:
- Malocclusion – The term refers to a condition where your upper and lower teeth do not come together perfectly in a bite. The different types of malocclusions are possible, such as overbite, underbite, crossbite, and open bite. An overbite occurs when your upper set of teeth hang out over the lower set of teeth. In an underbite, it is the reverse with the lower set of teeth protruding out of the line of the upper set of teeth. Crossbite refers to the condition where your upper set of teeth come inside your lower set of teeth while biting, instead of vice versa which is natural. When the two sets of teeth do not come together completely in a bite leaving a gap in between them, it is termed as an open bite. These issues can be sorted out by different methods such as wearing braces, Invisalign, or going for oral surgery for tooth reshaping.
- Crowded teeth – Some people do not have their teeth evenly spaced out, resulting in a condition called crowding. This is a common occurrence in people of all ages that adversely affects the aesthetics of your smile. This could happen due to several reasons such as unusually big teeth, a smaller jaw, or not enough space in your mouth for your teeth. Only an orthodontist can correctly assess which treatment will work best for you in this situation.
- Spacing – As the term suggests, this is a condition where too much space occurs in between your teeth causing your gums to show. This is a considerable problem as having large spaces between teeth leads to other dental issues such as damaged gums, and difficulty in following good oral hygiene. Spaces between teeth can cause food to get stuck giving rise to bacterial growth in the mouth. Just like for other misalignment issues, braces are a good way to treat this unnatural spacing of teeth.
- Protruding – A higher degree of the issue of an overbite can turn into the problem of protruding. Since this condition is much more difficult than an overbite, a timely remedy by an orthodontist in NE Calgary is highly recommended.
- Teeth grinding – Some people might not even be aware that they are ridden with this problem since there are no obvious symptoms. Grinding of teeth can occur even while sleeping, and at any age. It damages the delicate enamel of the tooth making your teeth wear out. If not treated at the right time, it can lead to more serious health issues like sleep disorders or migraines.
The most effective solution to many of these dental problems is the use of braces or Invisalign. However, you are best advised to visit a skilled NE Calgary orthodontist for the assessment and treatment of any issue related to the misalignment of teeth. Why wait when you can start the journey towards a perfect set of teeth, right away?